Monday, February 4, 2013

I choose to be happy!


Everyone has heard the expression, “What you sow is what you reap.” Obviously, if we want to create happiness in our lives, we must learn to sow the seeds of happiness.

We are essentially infinite choice-makers. In every moment of our existence, we are in that field of all possibilities where we have access to an infinity of choices. Some of these choices are made consciously, while others are made unconsciously. Whether we like it or not, everything that is happening at this moment is a result of the choices we’ve made in the past.

If I were to insult you, you would most likely make the choice of being offended. If I were to pay you a compliment, you would most likely make the choice of being pleased or flattered. But think about it: it’s still a choice.

I could offend you and I could insult you, and you could make the choice of not being offended.  I could pay you a compliment and you could make the choice of not letting that flatter you either. In other words, most of us – even thugh we are infinite choice makers – have become bundles of conditioned reflexes that are constantly being triggered by people and circumstances into predictable outcomes of behavior.

If you step back for a moment and witness the choices you are making as you make these choices, then in just this act of witnessing, you take the whole process from the unconscious realm into the conscious realm. This procedure of conscious choice-making and witnessing is very empowering.

When you make any choice – any choice at all – you can ask yourself two things:
First of all, “What are the consequences of this choice that I’m making?”
Secondly, “Will this choice that I’m making now bring happiness to me and to those around me?” If the answer is no, if that choice brings distress either to you or those around you, then don’t make that choice. It’s as simple as that.

(Deepak Chopra. The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success)

No comments: